Sunday, October 14, 2012

Reflection for Today's Gospel (October 14, 2012)

“How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!” (Mk 10:23)

The Gospel today talks about a a very rich man who is asking Jesus on what he must do to inherit eternal life.  The man is righteous and obedient to the commandments of God since childhood but he posed the question in order to be sure that he could be in paradise. Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said to him, “You are lacking in one thing. Go, sell what you have, and give to [the] poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” At that statement his face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.  (Mk 10-21-22). 

What does the gospel mean? Is it not good to be rich? Definitely no. God wants us to have a prosperous life. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. – Jeremiah 29:11. He is not talking about richness in terms of money or luxury; what He mean is our attachment to the material things that hinder us from following Him. 

As I reflect upon the gospel, I asked myself, am I like this rich man, who cannot leave his wealth in order to serve God? What are the things in my life (both material and non-material) that hampers me from following Jesus?  Am I too busy with non-trivial things that leaves me with no time to even sit down and pray? Am I too occupied with my work that I become too tired to open and read the bible? Is my schedule too tight that I could not even give an hour to attend the Sunday mass? When will I realize that everything that I have right now could fade away in an instant? Do I need to lose everything first before I will seek God's presence in my life? When will it become worthwhile for me to do everything for the glory of God?

Lord, help me to let go of material things in my life and embrace Your kingdom more fully. 


Credits to: www.kerygmafamily.com

No comments:

Post a Comment