Saturday, September 15, 2018

Daily Readings for September 15, 2018

Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows

1st READING

Today is the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows. We remember Mary’s sorrows and accept that there will always be suffering in this life. Let us reflect on Mary’s steadfast faith, and her perseverance in following Jesus to His death. May this inspire us to forebear in trials and difficulties.

1 Corinthians 10:14-22 (or Hebrews 5:7-9)

14 My beloved ones — avoid idolatry. 15 I am speaking as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I am saying. 16 The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the Blood of Christ? The bread that we break — is it not a participation in the Body of Christ? 17 Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one Body, for we all partake of the one loaf. 18 Look at Israel according to the flesh; are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar? 19 So what am I saying? That meat sacrificed to idols is anything? Or that an idol is anything? 20 No, I mean that what they sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to become participants with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and also the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and of the table of demons. 22 Or are we provoking the Lord to jealous anger? Are we stronger than he is?

P S A L M

Psalm 116:12-13, 17-18 (or Psalm 31:2, 3, 3-4, 5-6, 15-16, 20)

R: To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.

12 How shall I make a return to the Lord for all the good he has done for me? 13 The cup of salvation I will take up, and I will call upon the name of the Lord. (R) 17 To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving, and I will call upon the name of the Lord. 18 My vows to the Lord I will pay in the presence of all his people. (R)

 GOSPEL 

Mary stayed with Jesus until the end of His life. She witnessed the Holy Spirit descend upon the Apostles. Her example of discipleship is simple yet profound. In her faithfulness, we see what it means to be a follower of Jesus. Even though she did not play a part in the proclamation of the Gospel, Mary’s gospel is the witness of her life.

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION

Blessed are you, O Virgin Mary; without dying you won the martyr’s crown beneath the Cross of the Lord.

John 19:25-27 (or Luke 2:33-35 or Luke 6:43-49)

25 Standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary of Magdalene. 26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple there whom he loved, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son.” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his home.


No comments:

Post a Comment